About The Bed and Breakfast

The Glendale Springs Inn has a long history in Ashe County, NC. Nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains just off the scenic Blue Ridge Parkway, the Inn is both off the beaten path in a peaceful country setting and yet only a short drive to larger towns in Ashe, Watauga and Wilkes Counties. It has served travelers and the local community in a variety of roles over the past 120 years.

According to the National Register of Historic Places, the Inn began as a private home, built by Daniel Weisiger Adams between 1895 and 1905. The central portion of the first floor was the original building, and that space is now occupied by our on-site restaurant. The second and third floors were added above the original space along with the north wing in 1902 and then the south wing of the home was added in 1905.

The building originally served as a general merchandise store. By 1902 it became an Inn with lodging and dining. It housed a US Post Office until the 1930s. It also operated as a spa with waters pumped from nearby springs. From 1908 to 1918 the Inn became a circuit courthouse.

In 1921 the property was sold to Thomas Bowie. In 1934, Congress authorized the construction of a scenic byway, which was to become the Blue Ridge Parkway. From 1935 to 1938 the Inn was leased by the WPA and US Corps of Engineers and became the headquarters  during construction of the Parkway. The Inn underwent its first major renovation at that time. A second restoration took place between 1958 and 1960. It served as a private residence for a time, before returning to its original role as a lodging and dining establishment.

Today the restaurant dining rooms, bar and kitchen occupy the majority of the first floor. A wrap-around porch provides outdoor space from which to enjoy the view of the grounds and the fresh mountain air. Five beautiful bed and breakfast rooms occupy the rest of the space, with one room on the first floor and the other four in the north and south wings of the second floor. Two guest lounges also provide private space for the room guests on the second floor. The grounds occupy over two acres, with space for weddings and other special events.

Come stay with us and enjoy this beautiful place.